Sunday

Man Makes Dating Site… But Only For Himself


By Amy Rolph

Chas McFeely really wants to find a wife.

“For realz,” to use his own words.

The San Francisco-based advertising executive recently launched the site hookchasup.com to, well, hook Chas up. (Dot com.) And here’s the best part: If you set him up with the woman he marries, you get $10,000.

I’m mentally scanning my female friends for candidates now. But enough about how any of them would make great marriage partners. (Are you reading this, Chas? Did you hear me?)

McFeely told mademan.com that he never expected many people to look at the site, but it didn’t really work out that way. Now he spends his evenings sifting through “pick me” emails about more prospective partners than he can process.

“If I can’t find my future wife out of the hundreds of emails I’ve already gotten, I should probably move to Alaska,” he told mademan.com.

If you visit hookchasup.com, you’ll find out he likes reading, the music of Cat Stevens (at least he owns the record), playing Scrabble, and thinks of the glass as “eight tenths full.” And if he captioned those photos himself, he has a pretty good sense of humor.

In his defense, McFeely says he’s tried dating sites and friend setups in the past, but never with much luck. He even considered hiring a high-end matchmaker, but ultimately decided to take the reigns of his own fate. He doesn’t have a “type,” but says he prefers someone with a “creative edge.” (Although he doesn’t rule out falling for a brainy scientist.) While he admits to having been a perfectionist in the past, he says he’s no longer looking for flaws. In other words, he’s loosened up with age.

Personally, I can’t wait for the movie version of “Hook Chas Up.” Casting directors, might I suggest offering Topher Grace the title role?