Monday

Why Dating Is Like Refrigerator Shopping


By Ariane Marder

Yes, it’s true. A real-life man (with 40 years of life under his belt, no less) said that dating is basically like going to Walmart and comparing refrigerators.

I should say off the bat that said guy is on my sh*t list. And once you hear the story, you’ll most likely agree that he deserves two thumbs down.

A friend of mine has been dating a guy for the last year-and-a-half. He seemed great and really into her. He even brought up marriage and told her he was ready to settle down. But recently, he’s been having the grown-up version of ants in his pants and second-guessing the relationship.

One night after he returned from his college reunion, he said to her, “I’ve been thinking. I never really thought I’d end up with someone who wasn’t Ivy League.” (Blogger’s note: EW!) Then he went on to commit metaphor-suicide: “I’m not the type of person to buy the first refrigerator I see. I shop around and compare before committing.”

Seriously, dude, no girl wants to be a compared to a household appliance—EVER! And if you have a Sub-Zero, why in the world would you want anything else?!